Make it the day before and it becomes even moister – and stored in an air-tight container it will keep fresh for several days. It also freezes well so it can be made well in advance of when you need it. Or do what I do – cut it into portions and freeze the individual slices so that you can have the occasional slice for a Sunday afternoon treat.
APPLE & CINNAMON CAKE
200g dessert apple, coarsely grated (about 3 – I like to leave the peel on)
You will need:
A 2lb / 900g loaf tin
Non-stick liner or butter and greaseproof paper
Wooden or metal skewer
Makes 8-10 slices
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
- Lightly grease and line the loaf tin or pop in a liner.
- Placed the grated apples into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar, oil, vanilla extract and eggs.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together into the bowl. Stir well to combine. Stir in the sultanas.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and level the surface. Sprinkle with the demerara sugar (if using) and then bake for about 45-50 minutes until well-risen and golden-brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean,
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then remove and place on a wire rack to finish cooling.
Click HERE for a printer friendly version of the recipe.